How many times have you had Pet Professionals, your local pet supply store, your neighbors and your friends tell you about using Peanut Butter in your pup’s favorite toy, to re-activate a bone, or to give medicine in a tasty treat? In all fairness, it has been relatively safe all these years, but now there is a hidden danger in SOME Peanut Butter brands that could be lethal for your favorite companion.
That danger is a sugar substitute called Xylitol, and while it is safe for people, even a small amount of this substance can be cause dramatic illness and even death in canines.
- Ingestion of as little as 0.1 gram (g) of xylitol per kilogram (kg) of body weight (0.1 g/kg) can cause a rapid and dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar (a condition called “hypoglycemia”). Hypoglycemia can show as staggering, appearing disoriented, collapse, weakness, and seizures.
- Just slightly more than that, approx. 0.5 g/kg xylitol ingestion, can lead to debilitating, and sadly often deadly, destruction of a dog’s liver cells.
Check out DogsButter at our stores & on-line as a safe alternative to commercial peanut butter which may have added sweeteners. It is available in 3 varieties of functional treats, including Original, Immunity & Digestion, and Skin & Coat.
Are there alternates to Peanut Butter that are safe? Absolutely! One of the best alternatives if you feel you need to make a switch is Almond Butter. While both Peanut Butter and Almond Butter ha
ve almost equal amounts of fiber, there are some nice benefits to feeding your dog Almond Butter including:
- Contains a high amount of Vitamin E, which is great for their skin & Coat
- Has a higher amount of Magnesium, which nourishes the nervous system
- It contains 100% more Iron, which helps oxygenate the blood
- Almond Butter is a good source of Omega 3’s
No matter whether you decide to switch to Almond Butter or Peanut Butter, choose only plain, natural butters without any additives from your local grocer. Be sure to read those labels, and as an added tip, with Almond Butter keep it in the refrigerator to thicken it.
If you want Peanut Butter that is all peanuts, we suggest your local natural food store.