We are proud to be a DC Benefit Corporation and to take a triple bottom line approach to running our business. In order to maintain our status as a benefit corporation, we have to have 3rd party audits to make sure we are walking the talk, and really are running a green business. This year we are working with Green America on our assessment and will post the results as soon as they are complete.
Green America Certification:
Green America certifies businesses that are:
- Actively using their business as a tool for positive social change;
- Operating a “values-driven” enterprise according to principles of social justice AND environmental sustainability;
- Environmentally responsible in the way they source, manufacture, and market their products and run their operations and facilities;
- Socially equitable and committed to extraordinary practices that benefit workers, customers, communities, and the environment; and
- Accountable for their work by continually improving and tracking their progress, and operating with radical transparency in every facet of their business.
Gold Certified Green Businesses go above and beyond our standards in every facet of their work. They are leaders in their industries that embed social responsibility into the DNA of their company
Businesses earn this seal after completing additional work beyond general certification. Their application has been reviewed and approved by the Standards and Certification Committee, appointed by Green America’s Board of Directors.
B Corporation Certification:
We are proud to have previously been a Certified B Corporation™. B Corporations are a new kind of company which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.
B Corps, unlike traditional businesses:
1. Meet comprehensive and transparent social and environmental performance standards;
2. Meet higher legal accountability standards;
3. Build business constituency for public policies that support sustainable business.
There are over 1000 Certified B Corporations across 60 different industries. From food and apparel for you and your family to attorneys and office supplies for your business, B Corporations are a diverse community with one unifying goal: to redefine success in business.
The performance standards are comprehensive and transparent. They measure a company’s impact on its employees, suppliers, community, and the environmental.
Benefit Corporations operate in the same manner on a state by state basis, and The Big Bad Woof Hyattsville was the first Benefit Corporation to be registered in the United States and in the State of Maryland on October 1, 2010.
Read more about The Big Bad Woof and B Corps on the Care2 website.
On October 1st, 2010 BBWoof Hyattsville, Inc. became the first company in Maryland (and the United States) to be designated as a Maryland Benefit Corporation. This means that the company and the state of Maryland recognize a part of our mission is to provide a general public (environmental and social) benefit.